Monday, April 09, 2007

my not so ethical career

Hmmm just saw the results of a Gary Morgan poll this morning about which careers the public perceives to be 'more ethical' than others. Nurses were right up there at the top, fair enough. As were doctors, teacher and oddly dentists.

So where does my chosen career sit within the ethical pecking order? It seems that the dear old public think that us journalists are even LESS ethical than politicians, car salespeople, REAL ESTATE AGENTS and Insurance brokers. Jesus! We only just rated slightly higher than shock jock radio announcers at the slimy murky bottom end of the ethical pool. While I'd like to say that it's trashy so called current affairs shows like "today tonight' and their dodgy reporters who are bringing down the tone of my career neighbourhood and pulling in these poor figures I can't. Y'see dear old Joe public actually thinks that TV journalists are more ethical than us print people. Yeah - I'd be trusting those tooth whitened be-suited sharks jamming their toes in peoples doorways, chasing ambulances and reporting on dodgy builers and fat kids anyday.

I just dunno what to think anymore.......at this rate I may as well become a real estate agent. At least then I'd be rich.

4 Comments:

Blogger Torshy said...

Everyone knows that if the media says it, it's a lie. As is it if a politician says it. Which begs the question, what if a politician says something and then the media reports it? Does that still count as a lie? A lie squared?

Anyway I think the most unethical people are clearly the people who sell weight-loss products in TV magazines. Duh.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Di_ said...

well you know Kate it was also the 'public' who kept Dave the Farmer in Dancing with the stars up until tonight. So I wouldn't bear much weight on the poll. The poor old public appear terribly confused.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Kate Browne said...

Yeah a journalist reporting on a politician would be a lie squared for sure. But then if it was broadcast on "A Current Affair" or appeared in "Dancing with the stars" it would make it credible again. Afterall everything on the tele is true yeah?

8:52 PM  
Blogger Torshy said...

The television makes the truth - if it is contradicted by reality then I think we all know where the lie really is.

I will never forget my moment of utter disillusionment when, as a young idealist I sung on a picket line all day only to have the TV crew waiting for something to happen grow so bored they sent one of their own into the line in order to capture some "news".
Obviously peaceful protests are a lie, especially if you need a good story for a boring week.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home