Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hangin Backstage


Eduardo and I went to see Wolfmother at their sold out Hodern Pavillion show last night. Twas rather good I must say, and very weird because before we went away I used to see Wolfmother posters for gigs in small pubs around Sydney. In the time we've been away they have taken off in a huge way in the States and are back here at home selling out massive venues and are really famous.

It was so funny to see all the little youngies there, jigging away and singing along with all the tunes. It struck me how old I am, when I was lining up to buy a drink I heard one boy behind me say to his friend, "that girl over there is in my english class at school" argh - I realised this kid was probably the same age as my nephew. But I love teenagers, I love checking out all their funny fashions, social habits - it makes me feel like David Attenborough investigating out some exotic species. Fortunately for Ed and I, his mates Jeremy and Jo were also at the gig so at least we knew we weren't the only oldies there.

Afterwards Eds friend Skye who works for Wolfmothers management invited us backstage which was interesting. But you know the thing that excited me and Ed the most? Was it the other pop stars and members of Silverchair milling around? Was it the band? The dedicated fans who sneaked backstage to stare adoringly at their heroes? Was it the tv cameras? The Veuve Cliquot we were sipping? Mountains of Columbian marching powder? Groupies? No - it was a single golden object, something rarer than a hens tooth in Australia at the moment, more expensive than a crate of Veuve. So Ed plucked this object from the table, put it in his pocket and we made for the door, hoping that we wouldn't get caught stealing such precious cargo.

Yes - we stole a banana. And it was delicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home