Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I work in a glam neighbourhood


A few years ago I used to work for the Opera House, while the job itself had some dubious qualities at times the location couldn't be beaten. I would sweep off the train at Circular Quay feeling like I was in a movie, taking in the sparkling saphire harbour, the mighty bridge rising out of the water on one side, the white sails of the opera house shining on the other and the gleaming towers of the city behind me. I would stride along the waters edge sipping a perfectly made fluffy flat white dodging artists and starstruck tourists on my way into the office.

How things have changed, today as I stopped at a semi industrial estate near my current office to buy a watery coffee from the factory canteen I noticed a new business had opened over the road. Its sign proclaimed
"SECA - lifitng the lid on sewerage technology." I wonder if SECA's employees like to dine at the Goat Meat Restaurant up the road. It's a long way from the Bennelong baby!

1 Comments:

Blogger Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

And yet what would the Quay be without Excellence in Sewerage Technology?

(I say this as one who has abandoned sandstone gargoyles and jacarandas for beige-brick brutalist towers in Melba's middle-suburbia.)

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home