Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Son of a bitch

Language can be a tricky beast, what you think you are saying can come out as something quite, quite different.

Only this morning I told smiley Juan that I canĀ“t help getting married all the time when I thought I was saying that I get really tired all day.

However this is nothing compared to Eds corker at our formal family lunch at the dinner table yesterday. He thought he was saying that he really liked to eat trout. I could see Yolanda and Marco smirking and I thought the little boys were going to self combust through tying not to laugh.

Finally they put us out of our misery by explaining that Ed had announced that he really liked eating 'son of a bitch'

Think I will keep my mouth closed from now on.


1 Comments:

Blogger Torshy said...

Hilarious- can see why they offer homestay- much better than tv for keeping the kids amused. Although I must question why the word fro trout sounds so similar to s.o.b? Or was Ed's pron just so terrible?
My fav comment from a non-native speaker was our lovely receptionist from Japan, who, when I asked him how he stayed so slim while eating enormous amounts of fried food, said "Oh but what you can't see is very big!". I'm sure it is.

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home